Monday, May 14, 2007

My "Spider-Man 3" Thoughts...

So I finally saw Spider-Man 3. I'd give it two-and-a-half out of four stars. To quote the song from the musical episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, it just felt like everyone was "going through the motions". Granted, the action was superb and there was more Venom than I thought there'd be (Raimi and company got the look and the feel right; I just wish there'd been more Venom.) but alot of it felt like a retread (the whole MJ/Peter I love you-get away from me-come here-I'm sorry game they play) and the actors looked like they were ready to hang it up. Has anyone seen the actors doing press for the film? They're bored! When the interviewers ask about a fourth film, you can see Tobey/Kirsten/James Franco's eyes glaze over and then they give that generic response, "Well, you know...let's just see how this one does...I mean, we just finished this one so let's wait and see." (Translation: We were contracted for three films and that's it.) So yeah, it's the least of the three. It's worth a watch but don't expect the emotional resonance of the second or the spectacle of the first.

A few thoughts...

*spoilers below*

When Harry was killed, I thought, "Well, there's once actor that didn't want to come back for a fourth film." Also, so the Alfred-clone butler has let Harry sulk and be all melancholy for years, allowing him to mope about the mansion and blame Peter, but only when the plot calls for it does he say, essentially, "Oh by the way, Peter had nothing to do with your father's demise...your dad killed himself. Sorry I waited five years or so to let you in on that fact. It's just, you know, I've been busy...what with the dusting and the cooking...and this *is* a big ass house, you know...it took me this long just to find where the hell you were."

So does anyone see Raimi getting back in the director's chair for Spider-Man 4? I don't. I suspect he'll go make a modestly budgeted horror/thriller to return to his roots. I just hope Marvel and Sony don't pick some idiot to replace him. I think that Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy was brought in for Spider-Man 3 to be a potential replacement for Kirsten lest she not return for a fourth film. And to touch on another point that others have made, I think Jake Gyllenhaal would be excellent as Spider-Man should Tobey opt out of returning; I also think Jake's a better actor than Tobey.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

I also saw The Ex, which is a very enjoyable comedy starring Zach Braff, Jason Bateman, and Amanda Peet. Not a rush-out-to-the-theater movie, but still one worth your time, I thought.

My mother received a $25 gift card for Regal Entertainment Group. So now I can save the 2 passes for Trademark Cinemas. Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was REALLY disappointed with "Spiderman 3". It was like they were trying to see how much stuff they could possibly throw into one movie. It was just all over the place for me. Shame too, because it had a lot of potential.