Monday, July 31, 2006

just started this novel...



Touchstone Pictures will release the film version of this in limited release October 20. It was co-written and directed by Christopher Nolan. It stars Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson, and Michael Caine.

The trailer is here --
The Prestige Trailer

I'm only three chapters in but it's pretty darn good so far and I'm intrigued to see Nolan's take on the material.

And a quick stop at Google will allow you to discover that Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker in the upcoming Batman Begins sequel, now titled The Dark Knight. Christopher Nolan will again direct, from a script written by his brother Jonathan and a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Christian Bale will reprise his role as The Caped Crusader. No other casting details are available as of yet. The film will begin shooting early next year. I'm not quite sold on Ledger as The Clown Prince of Crime but I trust Nolan emphatically.



James Berardinelli's review of Neil Marshall's new horror film The Descent really has me geeked out. I was already highly antcipating this movie, as I really loved his previous film Dog Soldiers. The advance word is that this is a claustrophobic nightmare of maddening intensity and I can't wait to see it.

Expect a review of Woody Allen's Scoop fairly soon. I was able to see an advance screening early Friday AM (about 2AM) but got so busy with various other things I haven't had a chance to get that done. It's not as good as Match Point but it's still a pretty fun movie. I watched the amazing Nicole Holofcener's Friends With Money last night. It won't be out on DVD until the 29th but it's seven shades of cool and good and really brilliant cinema, despite an ending that has a small contrivance.

And in severely fucked news, I got a jury summons. I have to call the weekend prior to the week of August 21st to see if I'm called. Hopefully they won't call me but if history has taught me anything it's that I'm always fucking called for this and always get picked. Last time I showed my ass and pissed the judge off. I'll be a good boy this time, no doubt; I just don't want to be picked to be on the damn jury. I'll keep you posted.

Coming soon from Netflix...



Great critical acclaim has been thrown this film's way. I aim to discover it for myself. I also have The Libertine and Tsotsi from Netflix that I need to watch.



I procured this from work today as well. It was filmed in 2001 and although it's a loose remake of Jacques Tourneur's classic 1943 horror film I Walked With A Zombie, several online horror sites have said it's a fine little unpretentious horror flick.

As I'm typing this, VH1 Classic is currently airing the first 24 hours of MTV's existence, as it is now officially the 25th anniversary of MTV, despite what my blog post time stamp might say. (It's currently a few minutes past 12AM Tuesday morning now) Why isn't this airing on MTV, you might ask? Simple. The teens that watch it are too wrapped up in fucking bullshit like Laguna Beach and TRL to know anything about MTV's origin. I say fuck that and they should just air it on MTV anyway. Fuck those little snot-nosed brats. In any case, I'm about to rock out to "Video Killed The Radio Star" by The Buggles.


No comments: