Sunday, December 12, 2004

sunday evening.....

and I hate to admit that I haven't been as productive as I'd have liked this week, at least on the blog.

I returned the Magnavox DVD player. Martin is still here and I cannot bring myself to review it. Maybe later perhaps.

So I'm now off Wednesdays-Fridays. I worked Saturday until 6PM. Let's just say that I was miffed when I got off. The MOD was not doing his job and people were coming in, not being greeted (besides myself doing it). Another worker was on the floor and kept coming behind the counter. I reiterated the importance of staying on the floor. You see, we get "secret shopped" usually the first weekend of every month. Sometimes it's the second. I pray to God we didn't get shopped last night. I got out of there as soon as I could.

I saw Blade Trinity on Wednesday and Ocean's Twelve on Friday. Those reviews follow...

Blade Trinity


Marvel Comics has seen a resurgence these past few years, with their comic book-to-film adaptations of X-Men and X2, the two Spider-Man films and Daredevil to name a few. True, there have been some stumbles along the way (The Punisher, anyone?) but they've managed to do what their competitor DC Comics has recently failed to: create winning, compelling filmed versions of their long-adored tomes by hiring talented writers and directors. Luckily, DC has righted their sinking ships, with director Christopher Nolan (Memento)'s darker and more realistic Batman Begins being released June 17, and Bryan Singer (director of the X-Men movies) prepping a new, faithful-to-its-source Superman movie. Now comes Blade Trinity, the third film in the Blade saga.

Blade Trinity

Writer of all three David S. Goyer (and the upcoming Batman Begins) steps into the director's chair for this film. The half-human/half vampire vampire slayer Blade must deal not just with the undead, but the law as well, as he's set up by the vampires after he mistakenly kills a human. The vampires are lead by Danica Talos (Parker Posey, in a delicious role) and they aspire to resurrect Dracula. Blade needs help and gets it, from Abigail Whistler (Jessica Biel) and Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds). They name themselves "The Nightstalkers" and are part of a much larger collective of vampire slayers across the nation.

Blade Trinity

The first Blade film was a loud garish blast of a movie, full of nonstop violence and sensory overload visuals. The second was ably directed by Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy) as a Grand Guignol-type comic book splatterfest but in my opinion was undone by its overabundance of CGI and non-interaction with the mortal world. Blade Trinity brings us a barrage of new plot points and speeds through them rather quickly, giving no time for newbies. Wesley Snipes is even more wooden and aloof, and it works as he's given the backseat for The Nightstalkers. Ryan Reynolds steals the movie as Hannibal King and provides the movie's comic relief. I will admit Goyer's direction is very much of the "quick edit" school and more time could have been given to the fight scenes so they weren't so choppy. I liked it more then Blade II but the first remains the best. Blade Trinity felt like a pulpy comic book movie should, in a good way, and was ninety solid minutes of kinetic entertainment.

I'll be back later tonight with my review of Ocean's Twelve. Don't forget the Golden Globe nominations will be announced at 8:30AM Eastern. Hopefully there'll be some excellent nominations. With me being the huge movie geek I am and the weather getting colder, now is the time for intelligent movies and "my Super Bowl", the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards.

No comments: