Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Cinema...

77th Academy Awards

This morning at 8:30AM Eastern, Adrien Brody and Frank Pierson, President of the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, will announce 10 of the 24 nominees for the 77th Academy Awards.

The 77th Academy Awards will be televised live from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday, Feb. 27.

As usual, I'll be providing my own commentary after the nominations are announced. It won't be until much later as I don't get off work until 6PM. I'd like to see Fahrenheit 9/11 get nominated for Best Picture, just to piss off the flying monkey right but I think cooler heads will prevail and the Academy voters will be voting for artistic pictures. I think the Best Picture nominees will be Finding Neverland, Million Dollar Baby, The Aviator, Sideways, and Hotel Rwanda. Ray also has a shot here and there is no doubt in my mind that Jamie Foxx will get a Best Actor nomination. I'd like to see The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou get some nominations. Bill Murray needs an Oscar, dammit! It most likely won't and I think it'll stop playing here this week so I need to get my ass in gear and see it...pronto! And I think Super Size Me could lock down a nom and a win for Best Documentary.

Desperate Housewives - Sundays 9/8C on ABC

Wow. I am SO hooked on this show. It's extremely well-written, layered, and darkly comedic. It's addictive as hell. Give it a chance. I still have 9 episodes left to watch on TiVo and then it's time to start devouring...

Veronica Mars - Wednesdays at 9PM on UPN

And lo and behold, Battlestar Galactica sits waiting for me to watch.

Tomorrow James Toback's new film When Will I Be Loved starring Neve Campbell is released on DVD. It's supposed to be a sexually-charged drama and I've heard great things.

Hide and Seek opens this weekend. It looks suitably creepy. In this movie, I think Dakota Fanning will continue her impressive job as one of the best actresses working today.

At work we got a very low mystery shop this weekend, the first time with "new" guidelines. We'd already been shopped for January using the old ones. The new ones are corporate. (We're franchise) In any case, employees were not performing their tasks. Two were fired today. One employee had already received several notices to shape up or ship out. The remaining employees on that shift were written up. It appalls me to no end that I and the rest of the gang give 110% and then something like this happens and it reflects poorly on our manager and the rest of our staff. We have a great manager and corrective measures, aside from the firings, have already been implemented.

I have found out that if I long to listen to Air America/progressive talk at night and I'm away from my computer, I can tune into WCKY 1530AM The Revolution Of Talk Radio out of Cincinatti. Their website is
http://www.wcky.com

And House returns with an all-new episode on FOX tomorrow night at 9PM Eastern. Great show, that one.

No comments: