Sunday, May 29, 2005

black market wit's (belated) Friday Femme Fatale...

Sorry for the lack of this post as time got away from me. In any case...

THIS WEEK'S FRIDAY FEMME FATALE





DOROTHY PARKER

Dorothy Parker is a genius, a virtuoso of the written word and was ahead of her time by a century. She'd no doubt laugh off my declaration but she embodies all that the things that make up an intelligent, well-read person. Her wordplay and fierce independent spirit are legendary and make this firebrand an icon of both the literary and literal.

Dorothy Parker's biographical information at Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Parker

And here are a few choice quotes of hers...

"If you want to know what god thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to."

"Art is a form of catharsis."

"You can drag a horticulture but you can't make her think."

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue."

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks."

I have the 1994 film Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle on VHS. The film stars Jennifer Jason Leigh as Dorothy and I need to get around to watching it soon.

No comments: