Saturday, July 31, 2004

Tick tock goes the clock...

Well, today I picked up Jerry Stahl's book Plainclothes Naked. I'm only on like page ten and it's already hilariously deranged and that oh-so-evil kind of brilliant. I really enjoyed his novel Perv - A Love Story and I hope that this will be just as good. Here's the back cover synopsis:

In a wildly careening plot that can only be described as crack noir, two pipeheads accidentally steal a photo of George W. Bush's presidential package and decide to blackmail the Republican party. Before the crack-crazed thieves can follow through, however, gorgeous whip-smart Nurse Tina, who's just offed her husband with a bowl full of Drano-laced Lucky Charms, absconds with the goods. When Manny Rubert, a scarred ex-junkie turned codeine-popping detective, is called in to investigate the "foamer" hubby's untimely demise, love hits him like a wrench to the head.

Soon Manny and TIna are making plans of their own for the presidential pic - and for their future together. But the meddling police chiefs and motel room sex-change surgeons of the world just won't leave them alone. And then there are those killer crackheads, still out there and closing in....

I also need to finish Chuck Palahniuk's Lullaby. I read Choke and loved it but this one I've put down more than once. I almost picked up Beautiful Monsters today but decided against it. I also didn't choose The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. A Pulitzer Prize-winning novel that reads well, from what I read, and I put it back. I'll give it another whack some time soon. Oh, and although I've abhorred all of his novels, since all they are is a cop/detective/writer/college professor on the run from a/an evil presence/killer/monster/cult/scientist, I'm going to give Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas a try. You've got one last chance Dean...prove me wrong.

The DNC... it was masterful...what more can I say except if you vote for Bush this November you must have, to quote Janeane Garofalo, "a character flaw". Now onto the RNC which will be like swallowing an epicac after enjoying a hearty beverage. Real Time with Bill Maher was also quite good on its return tonight. Bill's guest were Michael Moore, former Canadian prime minister Kim Gordon, and Rep. Dave Drier (R). He also had Andre 3000, the governor of Colorado on, and Ralph Nader (Bill and Michael actually got down on their knees and pleaded Nader not to run). Drier took off his gloves and he and Moore went at it, much was made of Bush's reaction (or lack therof) in that classroom on 9/11. I noticed Drier was gone from the set when the usual handshake exchanges were made at the end of the show.

If The Village turns out to be a) they're all dead or b) they're all hateful bastards who kicked out other villagers and *THEY'RE* the real evil ones, Mr. Shamalyan will be getting a swift kick in the bottom from me. I usually side with Ebert which means that his views on films are usually shared by me and he gave this thing one star. I'll be seeing it tomorrow so I'll post a review sometime this weekend. I also need to watch the original 1962 version of The Manchurian Candidate that's sitting in my room waiting for me.

The season premiere of Dead Like Me re-aired tonight. It was a very enjoyable hour. So please go buy or rent season one. It's out on DVD. Head over to http://www.sho.com/deadlikeme for all your yummy Dead Like Me needs. No, I'm not a paid MGM or Viacom whore. I take cash from hobos who filter rubbing alcohol through burned pieces of toast behind greasy diners where they write your order on those green Guest checks, thank you very much.

Alright it's 5:09 and I need to count some sheep. So sleep tight out there and have a great Saturday. I'm going to try my damnedest to and I'll be back later...aren't you excited?...with more thrilling misadventures and daring tales of suspense. Or maybe I'll just blog again.

Off to watch the Firefly DVD box set,

Jason


No comments: